Tuesday, June 11, 2013

This could be the beginning of something interesting

Well, here it goes. I’m finally sitting down and taking the time to write a blog. I've had all of these wonderful epiphanies lately and I thought a nice little place to jot them down and remember them would be great!
Here’s a little bit about me to get us acquainted:
I was born in Georgia. Lived there a while then I moved to Israel with my family. Lived there a while and now I live happily in Cleveland, TN with my wonderful Husband (from now on simply ‘K’) and three wonderful kitty babies (Zooey ‘Z’, Kiki ‘K’, & Emiko ‘E’).
Here’s what you really need to know about my past in order to understand my present and my future. K is a quarter Japanese. His mom was born in Japan and it holds a HUGE place in both of our hearts. Nearly two years ago (one year and nine months — to be precise) we got married and went on the trip of a lifetime for our honeymoon. It was great! We went to Japan.
I have done a lot of traveling in my lifetime. Lived overseas, and visited at least eleven different countries before I was twenty-one. But, nothing changed my life, and the way I think, quite like Japan.  
The people, the food, the way of life. I love everything about it. 
SO — with this in mind you need to understand where we are at one year and nine months later: 
K and I have had quite a whirlwind marriage so far. We have had our ups and we have definitely had or downs (outside situations – not actually our marriage – we are super strong and value our relationship. I don’t know how I would function without that man — he really is my strength and my rock). Yet, here we are starting a new phase, a new chapter, a new path if you will. 
K has gone back to school to get his Masters in Education. I have been working for a local ministry answering phones and entering data. Our ultimate goal is to get to Japan within two years. K should be done with school by next July and our hearts and minds are set on moving there shortly after (Lord willing). 
With all of that said I have found something that I am passionate about:
I have always been a “crafter” at heart. Dabbling in so many different projects, trying my hand at things only to realize it gets pretty boring after a while. I LOVE scrap book paper and the idea of scrap booking — but, I’ve never really put that to any use. I have crocheted quite a bit, and I do still love that when I need something to keep my hands busy. I have tried to knit – but, something about having to needles going and one time somehow stumps my brain! So, with all of those ups and downs I finally decide to swallow my pride and try the one thing I have always wanted to try…
SEWING
Now, you have to understand. I don’t say “always wanted to try” lightly. I can remember being a little girl and looking at quilts my grandmother had (they were “hand-me-downs” from her mother) and trying to figure out how someone made that pretty girl in the bonnet out of scraps of fabric and string. There was something awe-inspiring about ripping something to pieces and then putting it back together so intricately. I loved it. A few years later I found myself in a used bookstore. For some reason the only thing I wanted to buy in the whole store was a quilting book. Now understand this, at that time I had never even touched a sewing machine. I probably thought a bobbin was something that the fairy godmother would say on Cinderella. Yet, I felt so drawn to these quilts. I would turn the pages and look at all of the amazing scrappy quilts or blocks put together and think to myself that there was NO WAY I would ever have the patience to try that.
Well, fast forward a few years. I am BY NO MEANS an expert. I have been learning but, I don’t think that will ever stop. I have finally found a “craft” that I truly enjoy. The gentle hum of the sewing machine, the idea that I am taking these amazing scraps and creating something that no one else in the world can recreate exactly. 
Mary Fons made a statement at the 2013 QuiltCon (you can find the videos on http://www.craftsy.com) and I’m paraphrashing; but she said something like:
When life is really hard it just makes perfect sense to rip apart a perfectly good piece of fabric and sew it back together to make something beautiful. 

I love that! 
Now you know a little bit about me. I can’t wait to post photos of things  I am working on, ideas I am coming up with, and other crafty things that pop into my head. I also can't wait to get to know some of you. The blogging community is growing and I am glad to finally be apart of it!
This place is my haven for now. A safe place to spill my thoughts – a blank canvas to piece together some amazing life scraps and see what the masterpiece starts turning out like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment